Saturday 2 January 2016

The Painsworn - Chaos Rapier Cyclotrathe Pattern Conversion Beamer


Happy New Year Sinners!

I hope you've all had a good break and if you happen to live in the North of England, I hope you haven't suffered from the floods that have plagued us. Fortunately for me, I happen to live at the top of the Pennines so flooding hasn't been a major problem for me. Unfortunately, I happened to be at my parent's place over Christmas, so the floods delayed me getting home for a couple of days.





Because of this, I have very little time to get my army ready for the Caledonian Uprising that is only two weeks away. I have managed to finish building my Rapier Weapons Carriers and give them a quick paint job. They're a bit rough and ready, but at least they're ready!


I'm quite happy with the overall look that I've achieved with this conversion. They look a bit more sleeker than Forge Worlds Rapier Carrier, but I still think they have that twisted Imperial feel to them.


I have no idea what colour a Conversion Beamer is supposed to be, so I opted for the jade green that is a recurring theme throughout my Castigators. I think it adds a nice contrast and helps lift the overall paint scheme.


A lot of the details have been ignored as I simply don't have time to spend on them and bring them up to a standard I would like.


I've never used these in a game, but if they perform okay and I think they may become a regular in my army I'll come back to them and give them a bit more work.


The front plate was made from an old Rhino door with some plasti-card added on the rim and a gargoyle face made using green stuff.


A monitor was added to the weapon housing and a back plate fitted.


Although Forge World's Rapier Weapon Carrier doesn't use a base, I'm toying with the idea of putting these on a base.....


.....as I think it looks better?


So the Painsworn are done....for now.

I now have two weeks to knock out a Chaos Knight, which could be problematic as I still haven't decided on a colour scheme for the carapace.
I've seen Imperial Knights painted in Chapter colours and while the paint job has looked lovely, it doesn't seem right to me that an Imperial Knight should be sporting Chapter colours. Of course, Chaos Knights are totally different, I can imagine Chaos Marines requisitioning a Chaos Knight and 'honouring' it by inducting it within their Legion/Chapter/Warband or the Chaos Knight showing it's dedication to its god with it's colour scheme. So really, anything goes!
The problem with that though, is it fuels my procrastination as I think about where this Knight came from and how did the Castigators get their grubby little hands on it?.....Is it a Knight from House Devine?.....has it been ordered specially from the Forgeworld Lathe in the Pandora Cluster.....has it been discovered on dead world and reactivated by the Castigator's Chief Sorceror and Warpsmith?....is it a Freeblade that has battled within the Eye of Terror for too long?....whatever I decide, it will effect what colour I paint it.
Is it just me that thinks these bizarre thoughts before I put paint to model?
Hopefully inspiration will dispel this alluring and soporific mist of procrastination and I break out the paints soon!

Until next time.....may Our Lady grant you her number ;-)

8 comments:

  1. Greetings, Mr Castigator (and Happy New Year too!).

    I like the way how the Conversion Beamers turned out. Another way to find tracks for converting is to repurpose the drive units of the Guard Taurox (and swap these for much better-looking wheels from a 3rd party manufacturer). I've been toying with the idea of using them for quad heavy bolter conversions (it's an awesome amount of firepower por a trifle).

    For the Chaos Knight, I'd humbly suggest something along the lines of a 'pleasure pilgrim' of sort, an outcast who wanders the Galaxy searching for new sensations, have been kicked out of his household for enjoying the less knightly of knightly entertainments at the Round Table. Quite a few people paint their attendant Knight in the colours of their Space Marine chapter, but this strikes me as a bit odd, as Knights come from separate societies and have little ties with the Astartes, perhaps with the Mechanicum, but not much with the other factions of the Imperium.

    All the best for 2016. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers buddy and Happy New Year to you too.
      I've seen Rayray's conversions on Bolter & Chainsword using the Taurox track units, they look really good, especially with a Heavy Bolter configuration.

      I like the idea of a 'pleasure pilgrim', a Marquis de Sade style character who's fall to Chaos came from within ;-)

      Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Great work as ever Brother,sigh... looks like I had better rebuild mine then as you are putting me to shame ;)
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers brother.....although these are 'Slaanesh' pattern Rapiers, so you probably want to use the Taurox track units ;-)

      Delete
  3. Looking sweet Gaz! Wasn't too sure about them before you painted them think I have to agree with you about the base. Look a lot better on one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dyl. I really liked the idea that you text me with, unfortunately artillery has to have individual models so it wasn't practical to do but it would be a great idea for an Obliterator ;-)

      Delete
  4. I do not recognize from what the gun itself from , mind landing a hint please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops, sorry for the late reply, I've only just seen this.
    The gun is made from a Maulerfiend kit gun housing and the barrel is from the Cataphron Destroyers sprue chopped up to make it look more like a Conversion Beamer.

    ReplyDelete