Friday 2 February 2018

GW Throne of Skulls Doubles






A few days ago this was 1000 points of Thousand Sons....then there was a new codex


With just ten days to go my Thousand Sons army is about to undergo a change. Why so? I hear you ask. Simple. A new codex drops in three days and new vistas of opportunity open up to the sons of Magnus.





I am not changing a whole lot. I'm not mad keen on birdmen or demons, but I do like the idea of serried ranks of mystical armoured warriors materialising like magic to pour warp flame on their enemies. So that's the premise...but first some background.

I have had the bones of a Thousand Sons army for a few years but have sorely neglected them. When my friend, Steve, and I decided to attend the Throne of Skulls doubles and he wanted to use his Chaos list it was clear that Thousand Sons would be coming out of retirement for one last mission.



Ahriman himself

This was several months ago and so I studied the Chaos Index and then Chapter approved to develop a little list that I thought might be fun. Imagine how happy I was to discover I was to have a whole new codex... but wait...what do I do? Stick with the army I have or quickly reconfigure to make the most of the shiny new psychic powers and stratagems? In the end, the answer was clear...make changes!

But wait! (Again) do I have the models I need, and can I get them ready in only a week? Well, I still don't know and the result will be a compromise between what I want to field and what I can prepare in time.



Going back in time I already had a box of scarab occult terminators and Ahriman but that left me in a quandary as to how these slow-moving troops would art be where they were needed. Somewhere in my garage, I remember I had a Forgeworld Dreadclaw with the wrong markings that might help so I blew the dust off it and set to work.


Of course, I finished the army only to discover a new codex would be published one week before the event and the Dreadclaw was not needed. A new stratagem would allow me to arrive from the Warp and warp time to within Warpflamer range. A unit of Rubrics with Warpflamers, a second with Inferno bolters and the Scarab Occult terminators would be supported by a Daemon Prince on foot, Ahriman and a unit of cultists in order to get the 3 Command points for a Battalion. 


Painting

The Rubrics were painted several years ago. I undercoated them black and brought the colour up to a dark blue. I wanted them dark and moody. 

The Terminators, however, have a lot of gold detail so I copied a Youtube video and sprayed them gold, washed them with Reikland flesh and then filling in the armour with blue, a black wash and then repainting the blue after dry brushing the gold completed the basics.

The Terminators and Ahriman sprayed gold...Shiny!




Work in progress. Note Ahriman with the gold washed.

Im now ready to go. 1000 points of Thousand sons. Lets see how we go at Warhammer world. 

My list now looks like this:

Daemon Prince on foot (hoof?) with Hellforged Sword
Ahriman  on a disk
10 cultists
9 Rubric marines
7 Rubric marines with warp flamers
5 Scarab Occult Terminators







9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. LOL. the technique works well with models that have a lot of gold. Better photos will follow. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
    2. I actually do something similar for most things that are predominantly one colour. It really does work well on a surprising number of things.

      Delete
  2. Oh I do like them Michael. I'm really quite jealous of the Thousand Sons model range and you've certainly done them justice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mate. This update was a little hurried as you can probably tell. I will work on a follow up as soon as I can with better photographs and more detail of the 'real' list

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck at the doubles tournament, Michael. A few pictures of the opposing armies wouldn't be amiss either.

    I'm using Reikland flesh shade for almost all my metals nowadays, as it doesn't go too dark and grimy and is easy to paint over if it pools too much in places. Cheers, Jose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jose, I agree. I use Reikland flesh too. its a good 'go to' wash for many things. If I rememeber I will take some photographs at the event and post them here.

      Delete
  5. I was wondering if you ever thought of changing the layout of your blog?
    Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
    But maybe you could a little more in the way of
    content so people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or two pictures.

    Maybe you could space it out better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was written by a guest author who no longer contributes to the blog.

      Delete