Sunday 29 May 2016

The Grande Cavalcade - Harbingers of Joyous Degradation




Greetings sinners!
Work has begun on my Grande Cavalcade, so here's a quick progress update to prove I'm actually doing something. 6 chariots are built....some even have paint on them. My living room is over-run with Daemonettes and Seekers and I even have an army list in my head. Of course the most important element has been done......naming them!
The story of the Harbingers of Joyous Degradation begins here.....





I've quickly discovered that there is a great deal of modelling and painting involved for a 40pt model. Because of this, and the fact that I have quite a few to paint, I'm looking at 'speed painting' these rather than lavishing a great deal of time on them.



To speed things up I'm painting them using washes made from Lahmian Medium and Hormagaunt Purple for the skin tone. They're not perfect but they are reasonably quick to paint. I keep wanting to go back and spend more time on them, but I have so many to paint that I need crack on....I can always come back to them once I have made more progress.



I'm giving myself a month to get these done and perhaps now would be a good time to share my army list with you.

Harbingers of Joyous Degradation (746pts)
Sheee'la'sar (130pts)
Herald of Slaanesh, Steed, Locus of Beguilement, Slothful Claw, Greater Etherblade.

The Soulreapers (216pts)
18 Seekers of Slaanesh

Harvesters of Sorrow (80pts)
2 Seeker Cavalcades

Harvesters of Despair (80pts)
2 Seeker Cavalcades

Harvesters of Pain (80pts)
2 Seeker Cavalcades

Harveters of Misery (80pts)
2 Seeker Cavalcades

Harvesters of Torment (80pts)
2 Seeker Cavalcades

So that's 28 Seekers, 28 Daemonettes, 10 Chariots and a Herald....eek!
Fortunately, I built a Herald a couple of years ago, so let me introduce you to Sheee'la'sar...
"This way sisters! There's the prey! I love it when they run."
Yeah, I know she has wings, but I think she looks better with the wings. I'll just explain to my opponents that I'll be using her as a 'counts as' Herald on a Steed. I can't see anyone taking exception to her.

10 Chariots are going to take up a lot of space, both on the table and transporting them to an event. The whips look really cool, but I'm pretty sure they'll be breaking on a regular basis if I build them as they are on the box. To overcome this I intend to glue the ends of the whips to the steeds body, the y won't look as dramatic, but I'm hoping they'll stay on the model ;-) . I'm also going to mix up the riders a bit to add some variety and make them more resilient to knocks.
Raiding my bits box(es) I've built these to stand on the upper platform.


 Dark Elves with a simple head swap will add a bit of variety.


 and hopefully make them less likely to break.


I've also used the mutated claws from the Helstrider box that I had lying around.


So after three days of snipping, gluing and painting, here's what I've achieved.


Unfortunately, I've now run out of white paint, so I'll try and get these painted up in the next couple of days until I can get some more. I've still got 3 boxes of Seekers to build, so it's not like I don't have anything to keep me busy!
Until next time.....may Our Lady grant you her number ;-)




27 comments:

  1. This is a superb project. Mr Scott and I discussed this build a few months ago but with as Tzeentch slant.I chickened out at the prospect of all that painting and modelling. These look great.Keep it up buddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael.
      It's a lot of work and I've no real idea how it will play but I'm hoping all those Hammer of Wrath hits and a Herald with strength5/6 AP2 attacks (re-rolling to hit) will cause some problems.

      Delete
    2. They look great Brother, I have to say my idea of speed painting was simpler than yours, I just gave them to Pete :) Love the idea of the list though, looks like it will play as you want it to, very fast and in your face turn 2 and no psychic rubbish.

      Delete
    3. Damn, why didn't I think of that? ;-)

      Having familiarised myself with the chariot rules I'm eager to try these out brother. With the increase in Invisibility, I'm hoping their HoW hits will catch a few people out. Their HoW might only be strength 4 but Rending makes them capable of damaging a lot of things. A potential 3d6 hits per chariot is going to sting a little.
      I like their durability to Grav as well, okay a unit of Centurions will take out a unit in one shooting phase but the retaliation from their kin, should see a fair trade off.

      Try as might, I can't make a Slaanesh CSM list with a Cabal that seems workable. I really do think that they're perfect for KDK rather than CSM's.


      Delete
    4. So you are planning just to charge invisible death stars with HoW? I like the idea. Pete and I chatted about it tonight and a skyhammer list will screw you up potentially with a lot of grav but otherwise that is a lot of units to deal with. Are you taking furies to get the full formation buffs?

      Delete
    5. I'm not sure how much grav skyhammer throws out but it will only be wounding on sixes because I can take it on the rider.
      Furies are only required for the Incursion benefits and the Cavalcade doesn't get that without the Flayertroupe, so there's no need for them.

      Delete
    6. Ah ok, I am running the flayertroupe with csm allies now and it seems to be working better for me rather than the other way around.

      Delete
    7. Yeah if I use daemons as primary I'd want flayertroupe to manipulate the storm table, otherwise being given mono-God could have serious consequences. That's why I want these as allies.

      Delete
  2. They are painted quickly, eh? You make me ashamed of the way I paint... I like that you think that names give to units, I think is one important thing to create a link with the model and generate a story. Good luck on the battlefield ... and transporting these beauties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers buddy, these really are painted very quickly. There is literally three colours painted onto the model. Everything else is a wash/glaze.
      Spray White (daemons should glow in my mind).
      Spray with matt varnish.
      Wash with 95% Lahmian Medium, 3% Hormagaunt Purple, 2% water.
      Paint silver areas.
      Wash silver areas with Druchi Violet, then Nuln oil when dry.
      Paint scales and claws with Slaanesh Grey.
      Wash with Druchi Violet (or Guilliman Blue)
      Wash hair with Violet or Blue.
      Done.
      The beauty of washes/glazes is that they really paint themselves.
      I'd really like to add some highlights but I've too much to build and paint. Once they're painted to this level, I can go back and touch them up.
      I agree that naming a unit/model is important, if it wasn't for the background I would never have got into 40k in the first place.

      Delete
  3. Lord Adiatun Varunn31 May 2016 at 02:15

    Give the names is an essential aspect for me, as for you,in order to lose in our background deeply...Thanks for the list of wash/glaze, I'll try them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A terrifying prospect to face on the battlefield! Gonna have to get round for a few games before I get constantly smashed by this list.😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be for tournaments only Rob. I'd rather not sully our games with this sort of thing.

      Delete
    2. Cool have you looked at the nurgle deamon formations? are they on a par with this filth?

      Delete
  5. Taking things in strange new directions eh? This will look ace but such a pain to transport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Rory, I'm happy with how they look considering how quickly I can paint them.

      I feel like this change of direction has been forced upon me really. I still like my Forge World units, but unfortunately it appears that there are less and less events willing to allow them as time goes on. Because of this I feel I need to explore the virtues that our daemonic allies can offer.....otherwise I'm going to be playing very few events.

      Delete
  6. Very good!I'm sure GW painted theirs with a series of washes and glazes, it would be nigh-impossible to achieve the subtle variations in colour with a standard layering technique. On mine I kept the metallic to a minimum and used Vallejo paints and inks. A (Vallejo) light grey sprayed first is almost as good as white, and more forgiving than pure white when layering on top of it. I'm a bit shy on washes alone, so I used a standard layering Dark Grey/Violet Wash/Dark Grey/Light Grey sequence for mine, and despite not being too bad, they certainly lack that magical glimmer when seen in strong lighting that a wash technique can achieve. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be very interested to see what you've done with yours, do you have a photo or a link?
      Originally I was going to start with a light grey but unfortunately I had run out of the colour I needed. I ordered some 3 weeks ago and it still hasn't arrived!
      I've found that the Lahmian Medium added layer paints really reduces the harshness that is usually evident when washing straight over white. they're not perfect by any means, but the speed at which I can knock these out is very satisfying ;-)

      Delete
    2. I'll be honoured to share my brushwork with other devotees of the Dark Prince. I'm sending you a picture as soon as I manage to take a decent one with my phone. Cheers.

      Delete
    3. Brilliant, I look forward to seeing it :D

      Delete
  7. Yeah, I can knock one out fairly quickly as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how it starts my blood thirsty friend, the odd double entendre here, a saucy innuendo there and the next thing you know you're singing the praises of the Dark Prince while cavorting with the brothers sin in your leather spanking pants.

      Delete
  8. I prefer to call them leather armour, 1 armour point on all locations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also, scroll down here and check out the Toughest Girls in the Galaxy new releases:
    http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2016/06/outside-the-box-06-03-16.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of them do look rather tasty, unfortunately I'm led to believe they're a bit on the large size.

      Delete
  10. Looking good Gaz! Liking the herald mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dyl.....I think I might have to remove her wings though. There may be times when she joins a unit of Furies and it may be a bit confusing for my opponents when that happens.....I want to crush them with my perfect tactics and enigmatic smile rather than using misdirection ;-)

      Delete