Monday 20 August 2018

Necromunda Terrain Tile 6 - Anak Krakatoa Heat Sink



The Anak Krakatoa heat sink lies within the sump swamps of Stranglevine Creek and supplies much of the light and power to Rockridge.





Despite its importance to the inhabitants of Rockridge, it is a fraction of the size of the original Krakatoa heat sink.


The original Krakatoa heat sink was so vast that it supplied almost a sixth of the power to Hive Primus back in its day before the Great Cataclysm that consumed it.

























Nobody knows the reason behind the Great Cataclysm, an event that saw Krakatoa erupt and destroy many levels of the Hive. Some speak of poor maintenance by the Tech Adepts; others, of sabotage by a rival gang; ply a Ratskin with Second-Best and they tell of the legend of the Sky-Gods come down to do battle with their kin. The truth is lost to the mists of time and shrouded in mystery.


What is known is that the Great Cataclysm gave birth to Rockridge's unusual topography. As the Heat Sink went critical magma was forced up through fissures to form the distinctive rock formations that give Rockridge its name.


Estimates put the resulting loss of life at a fifth of the workforce when Krakatoa erupted. Those not caught in the blast were buried under several kilometres of rubble or drowned in the toxic effluent as the Sump Sea walls crumbled from the shock waves and flooded the region.


Despite the Great Cataclysm, (or maybe, because of it) after two millennia, the zone of Rockridge was unearthed, rich in resources for those brave enough or foolish enough to prospect there.


As new territories were discovered and settlements established, the Anak Krakatoa heat sink was constructed to supply these freshly discovered territories and their need for light and power.


Anak is a common enough name used by the Ratskins that means child of. In honour of the Great Cataclysm it seemed a natural enough choice to name it after its parent.


Because of its importance to Rockridge, and perhaps to prevent any recurrence of history, the heat sink is regularly maintained by Tech-Adepts.......


.....but being located where it is, the sump swamp tries to reclaim it for its own.


Stranglevine, moss and fungus thrive around the structure, drawn by the heat emanating from it.


The Tech-Adepts regularly cut away the stranglevine that clings to it but despite their best efforts the sump is ever eager to claim it for its own.



Until next time.....may Our Lady grant you her number 😉







13 comments:

  1. Lord Adiatun Varunn20 August 2018 at 11:07

    Once again I repeat: great work! I am amazed by the credibility of stagnant water effect you've gotten, really seems to observe a muddy swamp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marco.
      That makes putting up with the stench of chemicals throughout my house worth it 😉

      Delete
  2. In retrospect, naming it Krakatoa was just asking for trouble ;)

    I love the overall vibe you've got here. I think I've mentioned it before, but it really reminds me of pictures and movies I've seen from the Louisiana bayous, except with a higher base tech level. Very atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, the best stories have already been told, so it seems fitting to borrow from history. Anak Krakatoa actually exists and the word Anak really does mean child of.
      That Bayou vibe was what I was trying to achieve so I'm happy to it comes across....I'm trying to resist buying the Death World scenery and incorporating that into the underhive, it's so expensive for what it is though and it might feel a bit too lush for the Underhive.
      Thanks for the comment buddy, it's much appreciated.

      Delete
    2. I knew about Krakatoa, but not about Anak Krakatoa. That's cool stuff. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
    3. I always feel it's appropriate to add a little humour to the grimdark ;-)

      Delete
  3. Gary, yet again another exceptional project, the tile is magnificent matey and also really inspiring me to get on with building some of my own.

    Is there any chance you could do a guide (step by step if possible) on how you achieved the water effects as they are just amazing.

    Finally with regard to the Death World Scenery I believe it's going to be included with both the new Dark Eldar & Death Watch Kill Team Boxes aswell as the new KT Death World environment boxset which may make them work out a lot cheaper than the current format.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob, I find building and painting terrain very cathartic so I highly recommend it.
      Unfortunately, I've just finished adding resin to my next two tiles and I have no immediate plans on doing another just yet. It is however a very straight forward process using polyester clear resin (I just googled clear resin and bought some from Amazon). Just mix it following the products instructions and dam any openings with strips of plastic to hold it in place while it sets. I added acrylic paint to tint the water green...only use a small amount, I dipped a toothpick into a pot of paint and added 5 drops to about a pint of clear resin (and I wish I had only added 3). Once the resin has dried I pulled the plastic strips off and tidied the edge of the tile up from the hot glue gun that held it in place.

      It was the Deathwatch Kill Team box that got me thinking about it mate. But I've lost all interest in small Marines now and the Dark Eldar one has Eldar Runes in it. I'd probably make my own if I was to do any, but hey, you know what I'm like, never say never ;-)

      Delete
    2. Cheers Gary, much appreciated. I don't suppose you have link to the Polyester clear resin you got from Amazon do you please?

      Rob.

      Delete
    3. Here you go buddy.
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Water-Clear-Casting-Resin-Polyester/dp/B06XPSL1MW

      Delete
  4. Amazing work! I love the water/sewage effect you've got going on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mike.
    I like the effect so much that I might build another couple of swamp tiles to go with the four I've been working on.

    ReplyDelete